Our History

 

Bridge Logo
Blue Logo
Red Logo
Plane Logo
Tombstone Logo New Logo

The Windsor Spitfires are among the oldest teams operating in the Ontario Hockey League. The team has been thrilling hockey fans in Windsor and Essex County with its exciting brand of Junior hockey for over 35 years.

The original Windsor Spitfires played in the Ontario Hockey Association from 1945-1953. After a 17 year hiatus from junior hockey, the modern-day Spitfires began operations in 1971, playing four years in the Southern Ontario Junior A Hockey League. In 1975 the team was granted entry as an expansion franchise in the Ontario Major Junior Hockey League (OMJHL), which later became known as the Ontario Hockey League (OHL).

Peter Karmanos (founder and CEO of Compuware) bought the team in 1984 and renamed it the Windsor Compuware Spitfires. The Compuware Spitfires played in the 1988 Memorial Cup in Chicoutimi, Quebec, losing the championship game to the Medicine Hat Tigers. When Karmanos sold the team to Steve Riolo after the 1988–89 season, the team reverted back to the Windsor Spitfires name and adopted a new logo and new colours.

In their modern-day history as a junior hockey team, the Windsor Spitfires have had five different logos and a variety of colours and uniforms. The logo of the original OMJHL Spitfires in 1975 team was a red and blue circle surrounding a white maple leaf with the scripted word "Spitfires" across the crest. Team colours were red, white and blue.

When known as the Compuware Spitfires, the team wore brown and orange, with a circular logo containing the word "Compuware" surrounding an orange WWII Spitfire aircraft.

In 1989, the Spitfires introduced the current logo with its traditional red, white and blue as the official colours. The team briefly used a third jersey in 2002 with a white, red and green colour scheme and a logo featuring an animated aircraft flying in front of the Ambassador Bridge.

In 2006, the team re-introduced a “vintage” third jersey in cream, white and blue, similar to the one worn by the original Spitfires from 1945 to 1953. The throw-back jersey featured a blue letter “W” behind the word “Spitfires”. The team continues to wear this as a third jersey at selected home and away games.